Meet Walt Maddox
On May 22, 2017, Walt Maddox was sworn in for his fourth term as the City of Tuscaloosa's 36th Mayor.
Since his first inauguration in 2005, Walt has been dedicated to seeing Tuscaloosa reach its greatest potential, and has led the city during tough times.
Walt is a Tuscaloosa native and graduated from Central High School in 1991. He earned his bachelor’s degree in political science and master’s degree in public administration from the University of Alabama at Birmingham.
In 1996, Walt began his professional career as a Field Director with the Alabama Education Association. In 2001, he was appointed Executive Director of Personnel for the Tuscaloosa City Schools. In that same year, he was elected as City Councilman for the Sixth District.
Walt’s love for the city of Tuscaloosa and his commitment to see the city prosper is evidenced by the many projects and accomplishments that can be seen throughout the city.
Walt is married to Stephanie and has two children, Taylor and Eli.
Did you know?
- Walt has been nationally recognized for his crisis management after April 27, 2011, when an EF-4 tornado destroyed 12.5 percent of the City of Tuscaloosa.
- In 2012, Walt was named Municipal Leader of the Year by American City and County for his strong, decisive and comforting leadership.
- Walt’s favorite hobby is running, and he has completed nine marathons and several half-marathons.
- Walt is a fellow with the Program on Crisis Leadership at Harvard University’s Kennedy School of Government.
- While at UAB, Walt was a four-year letterman on the football team.
- Walt is a history buff and loves studying World War II.